Status of IT industry in Tamil NaduThe growth of the software industry in Tamil Nadu has been spectacular: More than 930 Companies are operational with over 145,000 professionals employed
Rs. in Crores
Number of Companies exporting Software from Tamil Nadu
- Studies by Harvard University, USA, (Papers # 728, 729 and “Readiness for the Networked World: A quiet Information Revolution in Tamil Nadu) have predicted that Tamil Nadu is well poised to emerge as the top IT State in India as well as a gateway to SE Asia
- The “Watts Humphrey Software Quality Institute” established at Chennai – the only one of its kind in India.
- The Chennai Chapter of The IndUS Entrepreneurs (TiE) has been established and is active.
- Media Lab Asia - a collaborative effort of the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology, Government of India and Massachusetts Institute of Technology - has set up a Regional Research Laboratory at Chennai.
- The Confederation of Indian Industries (CII), Tamil Nadu and the Government of Tamil Nadu organized a successful International Conference & Exhibition on IT, Communication Technologies and Bioinformatics at Chennai during 13-16 September 2001 called “Connect 2001”. The venue was the Chennai Trade Centre of the Tamil Nadu Trade Promotion Organization at Nandambakkam
- As a sequel to the success of “Connect 2001”, “Connect 2002”, “Connect 2003”and “Connect 2004” were held in partnership with CII Tamil Nadu during 2002-2004.
- "Connect 2006" was held during 8-9 September 2005 at Chennai Trade Centre, Nandambakkam. The theme of the conference was "Strategy to accelerate Indian IT Industry".
- The Technology Information, Forecasting and Assessment Council (TIFAC) of the Department of Science & Technology, Govt. of India had organized ICNC–2001, an International Conference on Nanocomputing Technology Trends at Shanmuga College of Engineering, Thanjavur during December 16–18, 2001